This adaptation includes goat cheese and apples, with pine nuts. Don't have fresh herbs? No problem. This still tasted wonderful without, but if you can get them, use them!
1/2 goat cheese log
1 sweet apple
1/8 tsp thyme
1/8 tsp rosemary
2 tsp honey
4 oz pine nuts, toasted in skillet over low heat
orange juice squeezed from about 2 oranges
1/2 cup white wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
- Peel, core and slice apples. Cut goat cheese log into rounds, about 3/4 inch thick. Place goat cheese rounds in skillet and place apple slices on goat cheese. Sprinkle thyme and rosemary over cheese and apples and drizzle with 1 tsp honey. Place a cover over the pan and cook over low heat for 5-8 minutes, or until the cheese begins to melt and is warm.
- Toast the pine nuts in a skillet over low-medium heat until golden brown. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine orange juice, vinegar, olive oil, 1 tsp honey and salt and pepper in a jar with top. Shake to combine.
- Place spinach in a large bowl, pour a small amount of the vinaigrette over the spinach. Taste before pouring more vinaigrette over the spinach. We used maybe a 4th of the vinaigrette, but others preferred to use more. Toss with half of the pine nuts.
- Place the tossed salad in bowls or on plates, add the warmed goat cheese and apples and top with additional pine nuts.
- Serve and enjoy! Yummy!